Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Resistance Exercise Attempt

The last time I lifted weights was probably 7 years ago. Once I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, I was told to avoid the weight room and stick with the treadmill. However, there seems to be a shift in that thinking within the medical community. It seems that a little resistance training isn't as bad for a sick heart as they once thought.

Since I've been having this post reversal nerve pain, I haven't even dared to think about the idea of weight training. It's been hard enough getting to the treadmill, let alone picking up weights. Nerve pain doesn't like a lot of physical activity. In fact, in my case it seems to hate it. But it also hates laying around all day too. Quite a conundrum.

Well, I've employed my wife who is a physical therapist and asked her advice. I feel incredibly deconditioned and think my heart is suffering. I actually told someone that I felt like I was dying. So there you have it. Something has to be done, right? But what?

My wife suggested some very low, trunk stable resistance/lifting exercises here at the house. We have these kettle bells from her workouts and so the idea is to use them with high repetitions. I have now performed a type of chest press, row, curl, overhead stability lift and military press twice in the last three days. My goal is to keep the weight in the 10-15 pound range, but have the reps begin at 12 per set.

I had some pain in my right groin the day after my first exercise day. But I also leaned over to pick up a rock on a beach and felt something pop down there. So I'm not sure if it was the exercise or the bending over that brought on the pain. I took some tylenol and it went away. Last night I performed another session. This morning seems okay so far. Nothing out of the ordinary.

To make things interesting, I had an E.J. this morning. That is my first one in about 4 weeks I believe. Everyone has been sick with this stinking cold thing. I'm still coughing and my wife is still sniffling. So intimacy has been a rarity.

I'll try to get to the treadmill today, since I'm feeling a little bit better (with my cold I mean). My goal is to walk on the treadmill on the one day and use the kettle bells on the next day. Maybe my body will let me continue this pattern for a couple of months! That would be exciting. Just the idea of doing some kind of exercise makes me giddy. I can't wait. I'm also going to try to eat better.

Discipline is something I have rarely had in the kitchen. But having a belly doesn't seem to help my pain. Especially when I sit down and it hangs over my belt and pushes the inguinal tissue down. That can't be good. It may not be bad, but I'm going to think it is to help me with my motivation and discipline.

I hope to continue cautiously, plodding forward without over doing it. I can't afford any setbacks. I hope to see a cardiologist in our new city in the next month or two. I want to get a good report, so that should provide the necessary motivation and discipline too.

I continue to have good days here recently, except for two days ago when I bent over at the beach. I'll be curious to see what happens in the coming weeks. I hope people continue to pray for me like they have. It's great knowing that people are supporting me in that way. I love them all dearly for it and thank God for them in my life. Lord willing, things will continue to stay stable. I pray they do.

No comments: