Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thoughts About a Life Filled With Chronic Pain

"Hey, turn that frown upside down!". I can still hear those words spoken to me by my 1st grade elementary school teacher, almost 38 years ago. What's another idiom, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Those are great sayings. They designed to help you get out of the bad mood you're in. I find that bad moods can be a comforting blanket you wear when you have chronic daily pain. After all, who can blame you? You're in pain all the time or at least severe pain part of the time. You have every right to be blue and regretful. But being sad, angry or dispondent doesn't do you any good now does it?

Trust me, I've felt all those things. But I'm realizing that you can't let it - the pain - tell you how to live your life. I've had lots of well intentioned people try to help me understand that. When I heard them, all I really heards was "blah, blah, blah". Because they didn't know what I was going through. The only person who really helped me, and I mean - REALLY - was my buddy from my old church. The one I went to before we moved up here to the pacific northwest. Seeing him deal with his pain, was inspiring. But even then, I still was only making baby steps torward this idea. I think that is just something you kind of have to get to yourself.

I believe I am finally gettting to the point now where I see that I can still have a fruitful and abundent life, in spite of my circumstances. My faith in Jesus has helped me with this growth. Just knowing that he's there for me on a moment by moment basis; very reassuring and comforting.

I've had a busy moring with little sitting so my report is a good one. My right groin is a little sore, but I think it's actually from walking yesterday and is a muscular type of pain. Wow, what a switch. It is still tender, but in a good way - if that makes any sense.

No comments: