Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Staying Positive

It's hard to stay positive when you're in pain. I don't know how people do it. The guy from my church who helped me out so much was a living example of that. He was very positive despite having pain that would cripple most people, including me. I think how weak minded or weak spirited I am to crumble when I get the little bit of pain that I do experience. But I was never taught how to keep a positive attitude when life throws you a curve ball. Thankfully, my friend from my old church helped me quite a bit.

But we've moved and I don't have that quick resource anymore. No more bull sessions on the sofa when I could pour out my feelings and frustrations. There is something to be said for having an outlet, someone to talk to who can help you over the rough patches.

I finally broke down and took some tylenol this morning. I have had constant pain for the last couple of days and I remember my friend telling me you need to break the cycle of pain. The nerves won't do it by themselves. So, I took some tylenol. We'll see if it helps.

I went for a long walk yesterday (50 minutes). Strange, but I had some chest pain while I was walking along with my usual scrotal pain. I'll have to keep an eye on this chest pain stuff. Today, I walked for 30 minutes and stretched out afterwards. I'm going to try to slim down a bit, see if that doesn't help also. Right now, I've got the 40 year old ponch above my beltline. People still think I'm skinny, but I do have some belly fat to lose. If I slim down, that may help with how much tugging takes place below the belt line. I don't know. If nothing else, the walking and diet should help my heart.

I'm good at starting things, but not finishing them. I hope I can keep this going. I think it will be a real coup if I could.

My pain today feels like my scrotum is being ripped off from my groin. Doesn't that sound like fun? Ripped might be too harsh of a description though. It's more like I feel the weight of gravity on my scrotum, like it is being pulled away from my body and the skin is being stretched about as tight as it can. But upon visual inspection, my scrotum looks "normal". The pain does make it difficult to keep a positive outlook though. With every pain, I feel like something bad is happening, rather than just realizing the nerves are being irritated as per normal. Anyway, I hope walking, stretching, hot baths and the tylenol will help break this bad cycle I've been in lately.

No comments: