Monday, September 19, 2011

Don't Sit Still

It's official. Sitting still during the day is a figurative death sentence if you have PVPS. The more inactive I am, the more nerve, knifing pain I have. The more I move around, walk, hike, stand, etc. the less pain I have. Yesterday after church we piddled around the house, but I vowed to my family I wouldn't get on the computer, hence no post yesterday. After lunch we went hiking and picked wild blackberries. The jaunt took about 3 or 4 hours. I got home and started making a blackberry cobbler, while my wife worked at getting dinner ready. We finally sat down and ate dinner at 7:15 pm last night. That was the first time I stopped to rest all day.

It hit me that I hadn't had any nerve pain all day. I actually felt normal and forgot I had PVPS. It was a great several hours. To be lost in activity, not thinking or "dwelling" on PVPS, was a wonderful thing. Those moments are special for anyone who suffers from chronic ailments. Just feeling normal. Wow, I kind of took it for granted before all these health issues started rearing their ugly heads in my life.

I also went walking today. It felt great. It felt so good that I actually considered running. But I knew better than to push myself too much. I've only been walking for a week and I should probably keep up that regimen for several more weeks before I consider doing anything else. But I am encouraged. My pain has been dramatically reduced through this walking routine (with less sitting) I've started. I thank God for this decrease in pain.

Lately I have felt inspired by the Lord. Maybe convicted is a better word, but I really feel like I'm being prepared for an important work up here in our new surroundings. I don't know if it will be something in the medical field, in ministry or in education. But I feel his presence in a way that I can't remember. Very humbling I have to tell you. Now, if I can just figure out what it is. But as we're learning in our bible study, whatever "it" is, will probably become known without me having to "do" anything. Perhaps this walking is to prepare me for whatever "it" is. I just don't know yet, but I do know that God is good. I'm certainly in his debt for all his blessings and grace.

No comments: