Thursday, September 8, 2011

Becoming Mentally Stronger

Despite the racking pain I had yesterday, I decided not to take any ibuprofen. Toward the end of the day, I was still having pain, but it wasn't effecting me mentally like it usually does. Normally, I get despondent and have a little pity party for myself. Then I start wishing I had never had a vasectomy in the first place. Then I reply what my life would have been like if I had only gone with my gut and not had the vasectomy.

Yesterday was different though. I fought through the feelings of regret - it doesn't mean I didn't have them. I just didn't let them overcome me. I think the Lord has really helped me in that area. It is easy to live a life of regret, especially when your decisions are what got you in the mess you are currently in. Hopefully, I still have a whole life in front of me and that needs to be my focus, not the past 6 years.

So I had a hot bath last night. I went to bed. Took my kids to school this morning and now I've got stuff to do. I can't dwell and look back. Life is going too fast for that.

Today is still too early to say what kind of pain I'll have. So far, so good.

No comments: