Thursday, July 28, 2011

Looking for Normal After Vasectomy Reversal

Let's see now, I had my reversal back on Dec. 23rd of 2010. I am now 7 months post-op and I still don't quite know what my life will be like moving forward. There are still lots of sensations in my scrotum. Everything from burning to prickly pains. In a way, it feels like my reconnected Vas deference is still getting pulled and tugged, but holding on by a thread. That is a disconcerting feeling for sure. Especially after someone in the support group had a failed reversal 12 months after the surgery.

I wonder if mine will stay intact and permanent? Perhaps it will fail also. Will I get the painful, enlarged epididymitis again? Or, will the reversal work for me and my vas will stay patent forever? I surely hope the latter is what happens. Nevertheless, despite the unusual sensations in my scrotum and painful nerve feelings in my inguinal regions, I am trying to get back to normal.

As I said last time, battling this syndrome on a day to day basis can be exhausting. So I think I'll try to win the war instead. You know, take a more long term view of this thing rather than a day to day view. Too many ups and downs when you examine it under a microscope. I guess I'm finally getting to the point that a lot of chronic pain sufferers get to, you learn to just live with what you got. I'm still hopeful that it'll get better as time proceeds but I've got to start living life again. Time to be a full time husband and dad again. It won't be easy, and I'll probably fail my family from time to time. But I need to get back on the proverbial horse and start riding again.

With that in mind, I'll have to say that July has been my best month by far since my reversal. More scrotum sensations, but less nerve pain, despite my trip across country in the moving truck. But hey, as my buddy from church reminded me yesterday, I made the trip and I'm still here. I survived. He said I can hang my hat on that little fact and build from it. I guess he's right. So I'd like to give a shout out to Johnny V. who has helped me tremendously. He's taught me how to cope and how to look at the problem in a different manner. God Bless Johnny V.!!!!

Until the next installment...

No comments: