Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Uneasy Feeling You Get When Something Isn't Quite Right

I think the title of this is perfect. PVPS gives you that uneasy feeling. Even when it isn't flaring up, you still get little reminders throughout the day that all isn't quite right. Yesterday for instance, I was trying to find a comfortable position at the computer from which to get some continuing education - 6 hours of credit. So needless to say, sitting for 6 hours will not do my PVPS any good. I tried laying down, sitting on a bean bag, etc. Throughout the day, my pelvis and scrotum gave me little reminders that something was wrong. My body was rebelling against the idea of such prolonged inactivity and sitting. I tried to move around during those six hours. I stood, stooped, knelt, walked around, but the uneasy feeling just wouldn't leave me.

I've said it before, but PVPS is as much mental as it is physical. Little reminders are always shooting up your nervous system into your brain to remind you that yep, you still have vasectomy pain. After a while, the regret over having the vasectomy in the first place starts to creep in. Then the depression and questions about whether you'll ever get better.

It seems like we've had a new member join the support group every week for the last several weeks. I hate that because they all say the same thing. It starts with, "I had a vasectomy a few weeks ago and the pain just won't go away. The doctor tells me it's normal, but this pain seems different." My heart just goes out to each and everyone of them. Some are in the US, some are in Europe, but the symptoms and experience and sense of desparation are all the same.

Seriously, why would you want to put yourself through this. Trust me and others in the same boat as I, just don't get the vasectomy in the first place. Condoms and the pill will work just fine. Why put yourself at risk?

I believe this is why I chose to have an "online vasectomy journal". I want to get the word out to the unknowning public. Shine a spotlight on this thing so others won't make the same mistake I did. Granted, the risks of developing this are 1 in 10. But that 10% carries a debilitating lifestyle. Full of pain and doctor's appointments. Mental anguish, stress, pharmaceutical dependence and all the other "stuff" that comes with a chronic pain-like life. Hey, I'm giving you an out that you can tell your wife about. I don't think any guy wants a vasectomy in the first place, I know I didn't. So here's your excuse - PAIN spelled with PVPS: that is post vasectomy pain syndrome.

No comments: