Friday, September 23, 2011

It's Good to Have a Mentor

Big Brothers knows it. Corporate gurus know it. Everyone should know it by now, having a mentor is a good thing. Even for those of us who suffer pain. I spoke to a gentlemen from my old church in Texas yesterday. He is the one who suffers level 7-8 pain every day. He's the one who told me that he doesn't remember what it was like to not feel pain. This has been going on for over 12-13 years. He's seen all the doctors, done all the home remedies and still he has no relief.

One day I went up to him with tears in my eyes and asked if I could talk to him about what I was going through. He immediately sat down and began listening to me, even though I could tell he was in two or three times the pain I was in. He counseled me for several weeks before we moved to the NW. He brought me out of a very dark place, one that he was all too familiar.

It was so good to speak with him yesterday. I told him how indebted I was to him, but he just told me we all need help and he was just glad to be someone who could help me. He's kind of like that, just very self-effacing, humble. But he knows what I'm going through, so you'll have to pardon this post as I go on and on about what a great guy John is.

Sometimes it helps to talk in person with someone who knows something about what you're going through. It also helps to talk to anyone, for that matter, but in particular a person who has experienced what you are personally experiencing. Online forums are great and all, but there is no substitute for this face to face interaction. In my case, there was just something about sitting across from someone who knows what pain is. Who knows how pain changes everything in your life. How you relate to your kids, wife, friends, self, etc.

I thank God for sending John into my life. I think he knew I needed someone before I left Texas. I still have a long way to go, obviously. But John was there again last night to help me. His familiar, calming, instructional voice giving me guidance and direction. He is my pain mentor. I know it sounds weird, but that is what he is.

So if anyone has pain and needs help, find someone at your church or someone who you know that has gone through what you are going through. You'll be amazed at how quickly the walls of solitude and isolation come down. It could be the most special non-family bond you've ever had.

My symptoms today are about the same. Just a little twinge on the left side, but nothing too serious. It's my 9 month vasectomy reversal anniversary today. We'll see how it goes. I didn't walk yesterday, but plan on it today. I've got a stye on my right bottom eyelid that is bothering me pretty good. I need to get that taken care of, probably with antibiotics. So, I'll be curious to see if that has any affect on my PVPS.

No comments: