Thursday, March 24, 2011

Journal Entry

I had a good night's sleep. Woke up with no pain to speak of. I haven't done a lot of sitting today, which usually exacerbates the pain sensations. Interestingly though, when I pushed on my right inguinal area as I was leaning against a counter, I had an extremely distasteful nerve pain shoot through me. It lasted about 5 seconds.

I'm constantly amazed how this PVPS pain expresses itself from day to day, moment by moment. I have had something like 10 distinct pain sensations in my pelvic/scrotal region in the last 3 days. Each one with its own unique brand of discomfort.

Anybody who thinks vasectomies or vasectomy reversals are benign procedures ought to think again.

If I told you that you had a 1 in 10 chance of developing debilitating pain that was almost impossible to manage, as a result of having a vasectomy; would you have it done? I think the answer might be different from person to person. Some might feel lucky while others might think they're due for something bad.

The problem is, very few urologists discuss this possible side effect related to vasectomies with their patients. The other problem is, many urologists perform vasectomies, however, they don't specialize in men's health. For example, the doc who did my vasectomy, specializes in women's bladder issues. Now he does everything else a urologists does, but his specialty and passion was not related to men's health.

Somethings to think about before you decide to have a vasectomy.

No comments: